Friday, August 20, 2010

Healthy Living

Taco Bell Drive Thru SignImage by compujeramey via Flickr
The past month and a half has seen a lot of changes from me, both in lifestyle and mindset.

One of the main things I have dedicated the latter half of my summer to is maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Now, I'm not the most unhealthy person by any means.

However, I had let myself fall into a bit of a trap, eating out all the time and not getting ample portions of fresh, healthy food.

Believe it or not, eating poorly for an extended period of time really will make you feel unhealthy, negative, and unhappy.

That's where I found myself, deciding that I needed to start getting used to being healthy and making my habits more healthy.

We all know that habits are hard to break, so I knew I needed to make my habits, especially ones regarding my personal health, good ones. With the school year approaching, I knew I needed to get into some sort of health food and fitness routine before classes got started.

I'm happy to say it's been about a month and a half now, and I am still fast-food free (with the exception of a grilled chicken salad or two from Wendy's). I've dedicated myself not only to grocery shopping, but to shopping for groceries properly

I've forced myself to learn to like fruits like blueberries and grapes, so that my body will crave those kinds of foods when I'm hungry rather than a McDouble from McDonald's or a chicken burrito from Taco Bell.

It hasn't been easy, but it certainly wasn't incredibly difficult, either. Once you start making healthy choices, it becomes easier and easier. Now, I buy whole grain pasta and bread instead of the normal stuff.

Simple choices like that make a world of difference.

Now, along with any diet should come some sort of physical activity. Working out has never been something I have been able to maintain and be consistent with.Yet, I've been able to keep up with it this time.

As simple as it sounds, eating healthy makes working out easier. It's a system that builds off itself and gets easier to maintain.

A month ago I hated running and wouldn't touch a blueberry or grape. Now, I'm active and working out a few times a week and eating better than I have since college started.

I guess the point of this post is just to point out that changes can be made in your life. Don't tell yourself you can't do it and never try. It can be done. It just takes a little dedication.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Mark said...

Proud of your efforts. Keep up the good work!