Friday, August 6, 2010

I've just finished settling into a new house that I'll be living in for the next year, marking the fourth move I've made in three years.

Luckily, each move has been an upgrade, a trend that I would certainly like to continue.

I first moved out when college began and took up residence in the always lovely Richardson Towers at the University of Memphis. While it was better than living at home under the supervision of parents, it was anything but homely.

From there, I moved into what would become my fraternity's party shack and dealt with a constant party for nine months.

Loeb Street was next in my path, as a I resided in a quaint house there for the past year.

______________________________________


It's interesting to think about how much where you live impacts the person who you become. From Towers to Watauga to Loeb, each place will forever be associated with certain memories.

See, a house is like a song, recalls little vignettes of memories from your mind that you otherwise thought were lost.

It can take you back to a time when things were different, for better or worse. You know what I'm talking about--a song that you listened to constantly in high school comes on the radio and you briefly get that feeling of nostalgia for the glory days.


Your house can do the same thing for you.

I'll never forget the ever-blaring loud music of Richardson Towers, or the undercook breakfast potatoes. The Little Shop of Towers will always be remembered as the place to get late night Top-Ramen.

Whenever I see the house on Watauga, I think of dumb, crazy and fun decisions that the freshman version of myself made there.

Loeb Street will forever remain with me as the place where I was came into my own, really started to figure who I am and want my purpose here is.

Shotwell certainly has a lot to live up to, but I can't wait to look back next August and reflect on another year of memories.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: